Thursday, November 18, 2010

Precious Food

Last night I sat in a salubrious restaurant in my hotel, between a group of Japanese tourists.

It was a riot of laughter, as each of their dishes were placed on the table, they zoomed and clicked and pointed and clicked their Nikon's and Cannon's until the food was extra warm from flash light. I laughed of course - it seemed so silly to take happy snaps of your holiday food.

But why not appreciate the food you are about to eat as much as the buildings and tourist attractions.

it got me thinking about how little we including I appreciate our food. On a show on TV last Monday, Mum and I watched with horror as a woman complained about the bacon wasnt quite crispy enough for her at a hotel banquet. She went on and on and left in a huff. I was disgusted and could only think of all the mothers I have met who just want the chance to feed their children, house them safely and send them to school.

We are a nation of excess. Bring on the Japanese way of appreciating an everyday meal by photographing it.

1 comment:

  1. Why in Japan, then did i find myself taking happy snaps of their food? Maybe its the degustation of another culture we are appreciating?

    ReplyDelete