Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cold Showers

I am staying in one of POMs best hotels but for the past two days it has lacked HOT WATER. Now this is not a huge deal as its probably in the mid 30s outside but I just have to figure out how to wrangle the key for the balcony off the Duty Manager. Apparently they have had some "jumpers" and are none too keen to let the outside in. Maybe tonight I can have a warm shower.

This morning I caught up with a friend from PNG and she asked me why I love the place so much and why I dont hate PNG like other visitors. I preceeded to wax lyrical about all the pluses of PNG - and there are many. When I drew breath, it hit me that the PNG I experience is not the PNG that Papua New Guineans like my friend grow up with. I don't experience the fear of riding home on payday, fearful that I will be robbed, I have ready access to the best health care in the world,  I live out my own life choices and can educated myself and my children almost freely at great schools and universities. I eat without thinking and travel at a whim.

When I come to PNG it is to work for a healthy paycheck. I get to travel around the provinces in comfortable aircraft and stay at safe hotels. The natural environment and the people I have encoutered in PNG are some of the most extra-ordinary in the world. Its easy for me to love PNG as an outsider. I can put up with the water not being hot and the hassles and risks of trying to rent a house in a landlords market.

My friend to be frank has also had a pretty good life here. But she is a rarity I guess. In a UNIFEM survey on sexual and domestic violence a couple of years ago, 100% of survey recipients in the Highlands of PNG reported they had experienced both sexual and domestic violence. Women find it difficult to operate businesses here due to social, cultural and security issues. Girls and women are less likely to be literate or educated than boys and men. Girls and women are also more likely to develop HIV/AIDS. The list goes on.

However, its also not a great report card for men and boys either. PNG has a lot to do to turn the massive revenues and opportunities from its resources into development outcomes - into greater prosperity for all.

That's why I want to be here. Somehow I want to help our nearest neighbour make the transition that many doubt is possible. In the meantime, I will take a nice cold shower.

*********************************************************************************
The house hunting...

Well I got to see the house of my POM rental dreams today at 9am. The RE Agent and I bounded up the steep drive, the gate was open (better than yesterday) but unfortunately none of the 3 assembled "owner representatives" had a key to the inside. Still it looks like what we want. Hopefully Monday I can get a look inside?

Here is a photo of the view over the port


No comments:

Post a Comment