Friday, November 26, 2010

The Move Update

As I write this I am sitting in a deserted conference room in Port Vila, Vanuatu. My office for the day is not airconditioned, and looks like a seedy nightclub at 9am on a bright Saturday morning. Charming.

My head is mushy, like I like my potatoes not my brain. I cant focus on one thing for long enough to sort it through before another important person tells me to learn something else and focus on it for a few minutes. I love being new and being completely and utterly outside my comfort zone for the best part of every day but it does make me feel constantly exhausted. My mushy brain just wants a rest and clear some space. Anyone with any extra brain cells can send them my way - please.

To top things off the big bosso of my organisation has decided to take his first trip to the Pacific and come to PNG. This is not like showing the boss of a commercial bank around - this will involve a full scale diplomatic mission with meetings with the PM and senior Ministers, the private sector and grass roots recipients of our work in villages. No mean feat in a country with serious security issues such as my beloved PNG. I am told there will be 2 -3 people to help bring this together...phew - for a minute there I thought I was going to be busy!

Then there is the moving, house situation. The good news is I am in no different a situation then 2 weeks ago when I last wrote on the subject. The landlord has agreed to do a massive amount of security enhancements in accordance with my workplace's standards and I am getting closer I think to signing a lease and handing over close to $50 grand Aussie as a deposit and rent in advance - how thrilling. Thrilling to think that we may never see that money again. I just have to hope there is a Trust account in trusting hands....

Back home tonight and then on the plane again Sunday to PNG. Its a crazy time for sure.

I think though that there is no reason to think about the future, becuase the present is wonderful. Naff - I know but it gets me through.

1 comment: