Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mum's Roasts

I am away from home, in Sydney attending the PNG Mining & Petroleum Conference - yeah I know, what would I know about mines...fair point. Anyway I have met hundreds of people, have been running back and forth between the office for other meetings and generally having a pretty crazy, miserable time of it. Never enough time to do any one thing properly, just a lot of things getting done half assed.

Anyway...what has this got to do with Mum's roasts.

Not much but when I am away and eating hotel prepared foods - I just long for the extra-ordinary. Dont you?

I want bangers and mash with onion gravy; cornmeat, white sauce and vegies; soup (any sort as long as its home made) - you get the drift.

A couple of weekends ago we did some mustering, branding and then one of Mum's legendary beef roasts. I took a whole rib from the butcher shop that had been dry aged for around 3 weeks. Perfect timing. Mum simply put garlic in it, bay leaves in the pain and lots of salt and pepper. It nearly didnt fit in the oven. The lid of the roasting dish certainly wouldnt fit on. Check it out


...and here is the side version to give you an idea of the height.


and here is the final result- Shane's dinner. What a feast. I wish I could have taste & smell vision installed to give you a sense of the aroma and the deliciousness of the dish.


Here I am having a chocolate fondue for dinner...just couldnt decide so went for strawberries and chocolate - dont tell my kids!

1 comment:

  1. MAN... that made my mouth water. No fair. And mention of fondue DID NOT HELP!
    :-)
    BB

    ReplyDelete