Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Mudmen


We were occupied. Busy. The kind of busy that doesnt leave room for interruption or disturbance. Deep in concentration, trance like - watching an impromptu performance of local villagers.Chanting, stomping and rattling their bits and bobs to keep us glued like little children at a circus.
This is the scene that had us captivated.
and then I felt or rather sensed, a prickling of my skin on the back of my shoulders. The whole group of us had the same feeling as we all simultaneously turned around to see the very boney finger of an Asaro Mudman beckoning us, ever so quietly to follow him and his grey friends.

They were completely silent yet completely captivating. We followed without question to the ceremony that we were to officiate at. Their cat like moves and bizarre masks are really unusual.

The Asaro Mudmen are from the Asaro River in the Eastern Highlands of PNG outside the town of Goroka.

Close up, it brings back memories of big nights on the drink in Townsville.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Cool beyond belief... great shots.
    :-)
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited those guys on the way up to Kundiawa. We all posed for photos with a mudman each. My mudman was very friendly and put his arm around me. Not wanting to appear standoffish I put my arm around him. Then his hand drifted lower to cup my left butt cheek.

    ReplyDelete